Electrification ChaLlenge for AIRcraft (ECLAIR) Consortium held an Open Forum in 2018/12. Electrification has been advanced in Aviation industry. Japanese companies aim to expand business in mid-small passenger aircrafts, whose replacement timing would be around year 2030. Since time line of design, test, verification and certification of passenger aircrafts is long enough, so that the market window is coming very soon.
Main R&D theme is autonomous IoT devices
A couple of technologies needed are:
- Positioning/ Navigation/ Timing (with GNSS）
- Environment Recognition (and Sensor fusion)
- Safe and Secure Embedded System designs
Here are my selection of R&D Themes
- IoT devices consist from radio system and SoC.
- Autonomous Mobile is a kind of intelligent IoT devices with Sensors & Actuators.
- Radio subsystem may be the next generation wireless network (5G) or radio bands for robotics.
- Autonomous mobility relay on navigation which may be enhanced by ML.
- ML is machine Learning, which is one of key technologies for AI (Artificial Intelligence).
- Optimization technique is important to embed ML in IoT devices,.
Safety & Security
- Autonomous Mobile may be called as aerial vehicles, land rovers or marine robots.
- As for aerial vehicles, UAV or drones are expected to expand market especially in industrial use.
- Safety and Security are mandate in designing industrial UAV.
Technological innovation and Social revolution affect to my selection of R&D themes.
Maas (Mobility as a Service) is one of busswords in transpotation industry. Japan Public-Private Council also addressed on "Aerial Industrial Revolution".
SafeSec of UAV
In order to expand the market of industrial UAV, Safety and Security should be incorporated at the beginning of systems design.
Attended “Aerial Robots” session of the annual event of The Robotics Society of Japan held in 2018/ Sep. Tokushima University and Defense University presented VTOL designs. ArduPilot and PX4 are the choose of autopilot.The number of research papers with regard to AI or Deep Learning increased.
I presented my custom made quadcopter with UAVCAN at the research result presentation day in 2018/ July. A communication bus called “CAN” is often used inside automobile. There is a community in Europe and America to utilize CAN bus for drone design, which is called UAVCAN”. My first step is to replace ESC’s (motor controller) from conventional PWM signals to UAVCAN on F450 quadcopter I made. This work was the following-on effort after ArduPilot Japan educational class works held in 2017/ Spring.
I presented a concept of drone with hammering concrete inspection equipment by machine Learning technique at the Exhibition of Bridge and Tunnel Technologies in 2017/ Nov. PwC Japan Group was the sponsor of this pitch event for Infrastructure inspection drones, especially to the Metropolitan Expressway Company Limited.
I traveled to Las Vegas in 2017/Sep to attend the InterDrone Exhibition and Seminars. Nearly 190 companies showed up and they mainly presented industrial application of UAV/ UAS/ drones. Growing application area spans to Aerial Photo taking, Survey and mapping, Construction, Infrastructure inspection, Precision agriculture and Realtor.
List of my blog
A member of The Robotics Society of Japan, the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence and The Institute of Positioning, Navigation and Timing of Japan.
Patent research on hammering inspection by ML
Incubation of UAV Operator schools
Semiconductor business (SoC)
One-Seg Digital TV receiver
You may reach me via e-mail to
mine [at-mark] ior.kyoto.